Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Demo Lab Reflection: How to Tie a Bowline Knot





This week of lab continued with the demonstration lessons. My demonstration was how to tie a bowline knot. Students began by naming all the different types of knots they knew of and then I brought 'props' like a sneaker and hemp bracelet to show that there are knots all round us! This was my short interest approach. We then reviewed reasons for doing a bowline knot, and I demonstrated the knot. (I forgot to do the teacher says; student does part...oops). I went right to student says; student does. Then, I gave the students time to practice the knot. I then used a lot of individual teaching to help the students, and also asked proficient students to help other students.

I really enjoyed teaching this lesson, and to be honest, I get so excited about what I'm attempting to teach that I really get mixed up/ forget things in my lesson plan. I worked so hard to prepare this lesson, but I felt that I did not present it like I had planned and now am rather frustrated. The students really seemed to enjoy the lesson, and since they were so busy tying knots, I didn't have any major behavior issues. One point of modification I would like to make on this lesson is the fact that I would not be able to give as much individual time to students if I had a class of 20 students.

Plan for next time? Chill out and talk slow :) 

We all want to be perfect, but this is truly our time to find our style and rhythm in front of a class, and it's ok to have a bumpy ride sometimes.  

7 comments:

  1. That's good that there was not any major behavior issues. I know that I also struggle with speed sometimes. Maybe physically hold your lesson plan in your hand the whole time. This will remind you to look at it and reference it as you are teaching. After you get the hang of following your lesson plans you can move to having it on the table and referencing it when needed. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily I have always said that you have some of the best enthusiasm of our cohort. I think it is a good problem to have being too excited for a lesson. As long as you take a couple deep breaths, you can slow down but still keep the enthusiasm that will make your students love learning. The knot idea was awesome for students to stay engaged, and can be put into so many different contexts of lessons. Your quote at the end was very good, and sums up this cohort and our experiences very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great attitude, as always, my dear Emily. I am glad I now know how to tie a bowline knot! I did enjoy the lesson, as you properly observed, but it did seem a little confusing at first - we were trying to get the knot then you had to look at the job ops sheet to verify you were teaching it correctly. However, this is definitely more desirable then just making it up if you don't remember. I was thankful for your honesty and, as always, your energy. I hope it doesn't run out, because your kids are going to get high off your bright smile and enthusiasm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,
    You have completed a very good reflection! You are definitely a very enthusiastic person, and that is a characteristic to be admired! I think that it is more than okay to get so excited about what you are going to teach, but I think you have learned great lessons! We must still be sure to cover our content and explain things clearly! I really liked your lesson, but you did make a great point about not being able to give complete individual attention in a larger class. This is something I have noticed as well, however I think learning with just a few students is a great way to get us thinking about how we can change it so that we can keep 20+ students engaged! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,

    I'm in the same boat about slowing down and focusing on the lesson. I just get so excited to impact the minds of youth that I forget that I need to slow down...

    This is an extremely neat lesson! What a great way to include lessons that are not "agricultural" into the classroom! I like how you are envisioning yourself teaching this to a class of 20. We can never control the class size from year to year, so it is extremely important that we focus on having viable lessons and units. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, first I really thought you had a really unique idea for a demo! I have no idea how to tie that kind of knot, hopefully once voicethread works out its kinks I will be able to watch your video and learn how to tie it!! Second you had a really awesome reflection! As far as trying to slow down and focus on the lesson, that can be difficult. Like Caleb said I think we are all trying to figure out how do that right now. I think that we are just so focused on getting our lessons out in the time that we have we tend to forget that we are supposed to be teaching actual students. I myself also tend to forget that I should be teaching students and not my classmates. I forget that my classmates are not supposed to know as much as they actually do. I think that this is one of the hardest obstacles with lab because we just assume that the "students" know it since they are a lot older than the actual students we will be teaching! The more we practice this the easier it will get! Great job though! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily,
    That is a neat idea for a demon stration that was outside the box for mechanics so great job on creativity! That is ok if you don't do your lesson plan part for part, sometimes that can even be better, your main goal is to have them learn how to tie the knot, which it sounds like they were able to do! Yea, you left out the part that student say, teacher does but you still go the point across, it just may have taken a little extra one on one time working with the students to perfect their bowline knot tying skills. Don't worry about it an be frustrated, just keep bring that awesome excitement and enthusiasm that you have with everything, like riding in the van...! haha :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete