Saturday, February 8, 2014

Week 3: Getting Into the Groove of Things



And so completes Week #3 at Oley Valley, and everything is on the up curve. I really believe this was a perfect choice for a cooperating center and am so appreciative of all the support I am getting! Also, the students are great overall. 

Monday: Snow Day
Tuesday: 2-hour Delay

Animal Science
  • Began teaching Animal Science with the Equine Unit
  • Because of the shortened periods, this period consisted of my introduction activity and an overview of my classroom procedures, expectations, and consequences. For the introduction activity, I had them draw three things that describe them. Even though the class was older, they really enjoyed this activity. Plus I got to know each one a little better.
Ag Environmental 
  • I continued with the health effects of air pollution and also began talking about indoor air pollution. 
  • I also did an activity with the two periods: in the first period, it was a success; in the second period, it was a huge classroom management failure! I had the students walk around the ag facility and observe and take notes with their group about different ventilation and equipment to handle indoor air pollution in the labs. For the first class, it led to great discussion; however, the 2nd period is much larger and has many socialites in it. Unfortunately, 2nd period was completely confused and distracted. I need to make sure my directions are completely clear and also lay out clear expectations. 
Wednesday: Snow Day
Thursday: Best Student Teaching Day So Far! 

Today was the day that things really started to click! What a great feeling! I have so much to improve on, and I was getting really frustrated, but today things started flowing. I introduced my equine science unit to the Animal Science class, my favorite topic area, and began with a great interest approach by showing them my polocrosse racket and talking about the sport. I had their attention for the rest of the class!
Today in Ag Environmental, we finished talking about air pollution, but I started the lesson off with snow! How do snow and air pollution relate. Also, this interest approach really did its job :) Good interest approaches ARE important!

Friday: Professional Development --> Record Book Contest

Today, I both my class working on their projects: air pollution powerpoint project and equine sport iMovie.
(More on this day in the next blog post!) 

2 comments:

  1. very good job Emily. We need a few more snow days yet, don't you think? Seriously, I am glad you were able to join us for the record book contest and gain this invaluable experience. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, Clarity in our instructions can be difficult with freshman! (Or anyone!)

    Remember, Logistical than Cognitive.

    "When you hear , (Insert Instructions), What questions are there?

    ReplyDelete