Thursday, November 21, 2013

3 Day Micro-teaching Unit at Central Mountain HS



Wow, what a cool experience! We finally got to put all our teaching theory into good use, and I feel so much more excited to keep working hard and improving. Oh course I definitely had some rough points at times during those three days, but overall, I had a ton of fun and I'm feeling like I am on the right track.

I taught Ms. Hack's 2nd period Animal Science class a 3-day unit on Rabbit Management. While preparing these lessons, I had a difficult time making rabbits exciting without an actual rabbit, but the help of a 4-H rabbit kit (thanks to Quinn),  a lot of brainstorming, and some coaching, it was anything but boring.



Day 1: Rabbit parts and breeds

I was so nervous I couldn't even sleep the night before. I felt that no amount of riding lessons or clinics could prepare me for THIS experience! I was terrified, no matter how much I prepared. Within 10 minutes of the start of class, 'the calm' settled in...YES! Despite flying through the material in the beginning (probably because of nerves) and a student giving me a fake name, the rest of the class period was A LOT of fun. It left me feeling motivated and excited about what I was doing.

Day 2: Rabbit selection and the Punnett Square

Coming into this day, I was confident about the class in general, but a bit worried about how the class would fare with the Punnett Square. They came in tired and quiet, but as an interest approach, we picked skittles out of cups to determine the 'traits' of a rabbit face. They ended the activity with some crazy-looking bunnies drawn and a little bit of sugar. Oh...and I had their interest for sure. Despite the negative attitude in the beginning of class about Punnett Squares, they were ready to learn and were very engaged! I could have explained the Punnett Square with more clarity, but they still understood the concept.

Day 3: Rabbit care and quiz

Everything went OK this day, but not like I planned. My YouTube interest approach did not go through, so I started without an interest approach. What a difference in class energy compared to the day before! I like energy; therefore interest approaches = super important! They designed their own rabbit hutch and a management plan for their rabbits and got so involved that we ran out of time to review for the quiz. It wasn't ideal, but it worked just fine. The students did great on the quiz. BUT...my proudest moments were when they were disappointed that this was my last day and reading their positive 'Learner Satisfaction Forms.' :) What a good group of kids.

What things are working? 

 I'm fortunate to be blessed with a lot of energy and a generally positive mindset, so this flows nicely into my teaching. Students commented "energetic, friendly, encouraging" and "she was happy during everything and taught us in a good understanding way" and "I could really understand her and she had us participate." My supervisors noted the excellent use of positive reinforcement and proximity control.

What things aren't working...yet

Things went well overall, but we all have a lot to learn. I need to work on my flow by improving my transitions and stating WHY we need to learn the material. Also improving instructions will make things flow better by starting with a signal word, naming the task, declaring the time, and signaling them to go. My questioning could also use improvement. With higher level questions, I will be better able to increase the rigor of the material and create a better flow.

"Well that's all folks!" 


3 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I really enjoyed reading your reflection especially after riding up and back with you. You had a great experience and did a lot of things well. I did find it funny that you had a student give you the wrong name! I had this but it was on the final day, he only did it because he thought I would catch him and we all had a good laugh! You also made a great point with the interest approach! I had an interest approach the final day but it wasn't as engaging as my previous 2 days and it showed! I also liked how the students were sad you were leaving, I know what you mean when mine were the same way and I was touched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your reflection, especially since we did the same thing, sort of! I really enjoyed seeing how you took the same information and presented it in a totally different way! You are very right in saying the interest approach matters!!!! You had kids first thing in the morning, I had them right after lunch, energy levels are far from up at both of those times. Which makes me think that energy levels aren't up at all throughout the day. So it is definitely our job to get that energy flowing!!! I think you are well on your way! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,

    You are very fortunate to naturally have a high energy level and positive attitude! That will be so helpful when you're in the classroom! I remember Thursday when you we're reading your learner satisfaction form you had a student comment
    What activity did you like most? "Learning about bunnies
    What activity did you like least? "Not learning about bunnies... I'll never forget that! This was a great experience for all of us, especially a great chance to get feedback from REAL students!

    ReplyDelete