Monday, November 11, 2013

Inquiry Based Instruction: Cracked Open





After learning so much about inquiry based instruction, it was now our time to 'give it a go!' I enjoyed the challenge of trying to figure out how I was going to turn my Egg Foam Stability LAB into an Inquiry Based Instruction Lesson. As far as preparation, I really knew the material, gained all the supplies and felt organized; however, I really had no idea how it was going to go.

And the good news? 

I really can't gauge if it was a true success or not; however, I really enjoyed teaching it and felt the students were very engaged and thinking.

When should sugar be added to the egg albumen whisking process for optimum leavening properties using in baking? 

This was the question that I was gearing the students to develop. It related to the previous class lesson about the structure of proteins. I knew this would be a challenging topic, but the students did really well.


I began by handing each student an egg as they entered the classroom as a type of interest approach, asking them about the nutrients in the egg.   THEN, one of the student's egg rolled off the desk and hit the floor...CRACK! Ok, to be completely honest, I actually predicted this would happen but decided to go with the idea for the interest approach, because it would be really funny if it happened (and I love to liven things up whenever possible).

I began my lesson with a power-point presentation to give them a basic understanding of the content. Using the supplies provided, I then told them to pose a question and write a procedure for me to pre-approve before they began. I felt this was a really good idea; however, I really had to throw in some hints here and there to get them thinking in the direction I wanted them to. Finally, they began the experiment, but actually we ran out of time before it was completed! I'm thinking an electric beater could really make this process quicker.

Overall, I think it went well, because I was able to get a better understanding of how to facilitate an IBI lesson.

7 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I am gathering that a lot of us felt this lab was a success just for the fact that we now have a better idea of what we would do when we were to conduct this lab, or any other IBI lesson again. We knew we weren't going to come out of this lab perfecting IBI, but I feel most of us are now comfortable to TRY it! I think you did a great job, and I love your enthusiasm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The egg falling was the first thing I thought of too. As teachers, we always have to prepare for mishaps like that, although we can't think of everything. I think it's crucial to have the powerpoint at the beginning of the lesson, giving good background knowledge. I wish I would have done that for my lab! Your time issue isn't too big of a deal, especially because the students sounded like they were very engaged. Overall, this seemed like a very positive experience and a good way to get students to relate this question to real life use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    I like that you used a powerpoint instead of an article. I look forward to your video so I can watch this in action! The starting point is always the hardest for me. I don't really think it was a big deal that one of your eggs broke...sounds like a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, it was a fun lab and a good workout too :) and pretty humorous when Casi dropped her egg!! But be careful not to get too overwhelmed with laughter at these silly occurrences (as they will happen in your classroom!) as I think it can distract the lesson. I agree, the electric beater could have been a good idea, but still letting us decide if we wanted to use that or the hand beater? Either way, letting the students really investigate is good. I had fun!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily

    I love how some of you guys are utilizing food in your labs!! I think eggs are the coolest food item to do experiments with because they can do so many different things, and I thought your interest approach was awesome.

    I am curious as to how your lab went, I wish I could have seen it. It definitely is really hard to get enough air into the egg white by hand to get it to foam up. Electric beater is the way to go. ANGEL FOOD CAKE!

    No but on a serious note, you always impress me in your labs and your demeanor. Keep up the good work, you will be an awesome teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily,
    It sounds like you really had fun with this lab and I think that your statement that you don't know if it went well or not proved that it did work, but more importantly you are had fun with it and the students where engaged. Great Job !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's good that you got to have a better understanding of IBI cause that is key. I think that is a neat lab idea to do, and loved how you thought an egg may end up on the floor but wanted to do it any way because it would be funny! You are tons of fun and with make our students always have a good time and be happy! Pre-approving the project is a great idea to ensure eggs aren't wasted, well except the ones that provide laughs when they end up on the floor! :) haha

    ReplyDelete