Sunday, March 16, 2014

Food Bank to Hummus to Maple Syrup


 



This week started off with me away from Oley and attending SLLC. Unfortunately, Oley Valley does not attend SLLC or ACES, but I got the opportunity to attend SLLC independently. While it would have been wonderful to have students with me, the experience was eye-opening in it's own way. Plus, I got to enjoy the time with other students and teachers across the state. I really enjoyed volunteering at the Central PA Food Bank with all the great students as well!

I came back to Oley Valley Wednesday feeling like I was so out of the loop! It took me the whole day to get back into the groove and get all the students on the same page. As I worked hard to get back into it this week, it truly flew by!

Favorite part of this week?! The Hummus Lab in Food Science! Ok, so why were we making hummus in class?! And why did I spend the better part of my Wednesday evening traveling practically around the county to get supplies?! Because hummus is a perfect example of protein complimentation, as it combines two incomplete plant proteins (chickpeas and tahini paste) to provide all the essential amino acids! Four groups of students each chose a slightly different variation, and then we completed a sensory evaluation for each of them. While some students were not won over by hummus [yet ;)], most really enjoyed this lab.

What "cool" activity ended up not being so "cool"? The Plant Science class just tapped a sugar maple tree, so I took my 9th grade Ag Environmental class on a mini field trip outside to see it and talk about maple syrup production. While I was super excited to get them out of the classroom, most were not too thrilled (unfortunately). Yes, it was a little chilly, but still.

What technique did I try that I still don't truly know if it was successful or not? Later in the week, I was showing my Ag Environmental class a movie (they also had a movie worksheet), but despite my warnings, there was a lot of side conversations during the movie. I ended the movie early and told everyone to get out a piece of paper for a "quiz" and if anyone talked, they would receive a zero. I really did not want to do this, but I wanted to make a point. Unfortunately, two students did talk and I gave them both zeros and they were very upset with me (although I told them the next day it was worth 4 participation points, but expect better of them). I'm hoping this will stop side conversations.

Until next time! Enjoy the first real signs of spring! 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I am not a fan of hummus either, but it sounds like an interesting lab.
    Tapping the maple tree is more up my alley though.

    As for the talking during a movie - most students need to know that you mean business when showing a movie. With most your worksheet was enough motivation, but some just had to test you. You handled it correctly.

    Glad you enjoyed SLLC.

    ReplyDelete