Friday, March 7, 2014

March Rolls In

And March has rolled on in. This has been an interesting week, as it seemed to really have its ups and downs throughout the week. Banquet planning, greenhouse/weather challenges, and a field trip all led to a busy week! Plus, a visit from my university supervisor, Mr. Frederick, was great! I also tried some new teaching techniques and projects this week; some were awesome, some were a wreck!

What worked this week?

Wednesday and Thursday- Animal Science: I set up 4 equine stations to quiz students on feeds, grooming tools, saddle parts, and bridle parts. The first day, we had a practice lab practical. The second day was the real deal! Results? Confident and successful students (and let me tell you, it wasn't an easy lab practical).

Tuesday and Wednesday- Food Science: We were out in the lab! Two hands-on labs that if I hadn't prepared the equipment ahead of time, they wouldn't have had time to complete the labs. Results? Happy students with their creative juices flowing.

Friday- Ag Program Field Trip to Berks County's Career Fair: Student were on their best behavior and it was just a ton of fun to get to know some of them so much better.

Ok, so what failed? 

Monday- Food Science: I began the proteins unit and assigned students to prepare an informal presentation about their assigned mini topic related to the functions of proteins in foods. Results? Many confused students and one super confused student teacher. I spent a lot of time that evening re-ordering the unit a bit to make it more logical... it's working.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday- Ag Environmental: They worked on a three-day land use group project. Results? While some enjoyed it and it challenged their math skills, I had struggled keeping everyone focused. Three days is too long. I will reformat it for the future.

Professional Development Note: As the thoughts of Spring are rolling in, I am mentally preparing myself for a VERY packed summer as an equestrian clinician, instructor, coach, and rider. Wow, this student teaching experience is really beginning to develop my teaching abilities and general confidence that is transferable to almost any type of context. In the formal school setting, I am experiencing SO MANY different types of learners and personalities. While I am continually challenged by this (my favorite part of this experience), I am truly developing a better understanding of how different people need different teaching techniques to succeed. While I have an unlimited amount to learn in this area, I thrilled to offer my equestrian students this summer with instruction based not only on horse experience, but a better understanding of the needs of different learners in any type of context.

2 comments:

  1. So I really liked your title. Does that mean that we can count on you to be a first year teacher next year? I sure hope so!
    Even though you wrote more about what did not work well, I believe that the successes far out weighed the failures. And you found a way to change things so they would work better in the future. That is definitely what student teaching is all about. Hope you enjoyed SLLC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all your positive feedback Ron! I really appreciate it! Student teaching is surely a trial and error time, but when things go right, it is just awesome! haha

    ReplyDelete