Saturday, March 1, 2014

Weekly Overview and Speaking CDE

Well we finally got a full week of school in this time! I added the Food Science class midway through the week; however, the highlight of this week was taking the students to the first round of the Speaking CDE event. Now, I'm starting to get it...why their are so many passionate agriculture teachers, because this feeling is just awesome! It is so wonderful seeing your students succeed, plus it was just great hanging out with them and joking around outside of the school setting. This is exactly what I needed during this time of student teaching.


MONDAY

Ansci- Great lesson on horse tack. I began by giving students all different types of tack, grooming tools, and other equipment. They then had to figure out in what order they would use everything to tack up a horse. Plus we identified each piece. It was a lot of fun.

Ag Enviro- Mr. Deysher came in to talk about the upcoming ag courses being offered next year and then we headed out to the lab to work with our acid rain plants and test the water for the trout. We came back into the classroom with just enough time to review Friday's materials.

TUESDAY

Ansci- We began talking about equine facilities and had the students draw their own facility. This is so awesome to see them using their creativity and getting really into the activity. Only having the last 10 minutes of class to work on this, I've decided to give them more time tomorrow (despite having different original plans).

Ag Enviro- Today we summed up our unit in preparation for the test Thursday. Here too I also had to decide to make more time and move the test Friday. I guess I will see if this extra time to review will help them!

WEDNESDAY

Ansci- Students enjoyed finishing their facilities drawings and then we held a discussion about equine diet. I need to get more people to volunteer

Food Sci- Introduction and classroom procedures...here we go Food Science!

Ag Enviro- Today, we finished up loose ends from the unit. I also tried something new to engage more students...Popsicle sticks with their names on it. It works! 

Today something really powerful happened... I've been spending hours editing speeches and practicing with students after school for the Speaking CDE, and today was the day for the students to compete! I was like a proud parent siting there as time keeper seeing so many Oley students not only participating, but excelling! For the first time, I also felt like I could have a really good time with all the students...not just being 'mean-rule-enforcer-Ms. Urban' that sometimes I feel I am, despite really wanting to loosen up the reins. It was a really exciting evening for all of us. :)

THURSDAY
  
Ansci- Nutrition and body Scoring! We did a lot in class with passing around and identifying different feeds (and beddings too).

Food Science- Students were making up tests for reviewing for NOCTI

Ag Enviro- Review game! I made up a game that if a team member answered a questions correctly, they got to try my challange: They had to get a partner, each holding a cone, pass the ball and catch it! It really was great fun :)

FRIDAY

Ansci- Routine care: We talked about the farrier, vet, and equine dentist, and Mike Rowe covered the rest (Dirty Jobs). It was hilarious.

Food Science- I did too much powerpointing here and I'm going to change that.

Ag Enviro- Test and then they read an article. Overall, I was happy with how most of the students did on the test.


1 comment:

  1. Good Job Emily! Keep focusing on expanding your instructional capacity for engagement bell to bell. Share more on your actual teaching episodes. What really works and what did not work. Not just a play by play.

    Make good decisions,

    Foster

    ReplyDelete